The Village Academy

The Village Academy is a group of town, city and village schools that have joined together to provide the very best education for the children in our care and where we believe that education is very much a matter of the individual.

Visit Site

Frequently Asked Questions

What are INSET days?  INSET stands for In Service Training. All schools in England have five INSET days every year when they are closed to pupils to allow for staff training. They are an important part of staff training and development, ensuring that staff stay up to date with latest developments and so education in our school remains ‘cutting edge’.

What is the Foundation Stage?  The Foundation Stage is Nursery and Reception (age 3-5)

What are Key Stage 1 and 2 (KS1 and KS2)?  Key Stage 1 is Years 1 and 2 (age 5-7). Key Stage 2 is Years 3, 4, 5 and 6 (age 7-11).

What is the national curriculum?   The national curriculum outlines what all children should be taught in each Key Stage. To find out more go to

What are SATs?  They are Statutory Assessment Tasks. These are national tasks / tests which are used to assess all children at the end of Key Stage 1 (Year 2) and the end of Key Stage 2 (Year 6). The SAT results give a ‘snapshot’ of children’s attainment; in other words how they achieved in particular tasks or tests taken on as specific day / week.

What  is Teacher Assessment?  This is the teacher's judgement about the progress and attainment of a child. This judgement will be made based on evidence gathered over a period of time and from a range of pieces of work, together with test results. It is usually a more reliable judgement of a child’s attainment than a test result alone.

What is an TA?  A TA is a Teaching Assistant. This is somebody who supports learning in the classroom. Sometimes they will support individual children, at other times they may work with a group or with the whole class.

What is PPA time?   This is Planning, Preparation and Assessment time; all teachers are entitled to PPA time.

What is a Celebration Assembly?  These Assemblies happen weekly. They are an opportunity to recognise and reward children’s particular achievements. Children can receive a merit certificate, Wonderful Work certificate or Star of the Week certificate. Other achievements, such as sporting successes and achievements outside school are shared and celebrated too.

When do we get a school report for our children?  School reports are issued to all the children at the end of the school year, in July.

How do I give feedback about my child to teachers?  There are two parent consultation evenings every year when you can make an appointment to discuss your child’s progress with their teacher(s). In addition, teachers are always happy to talk briefly at the start or end of the school day. If you’d like to talk for a bit longer, then ask your child’s teacher if you can arrange a time that is convenient for you both. You can do this at any time of the year.

How frequently are Parents’ Evenings?   Parents’ Evenings are held twice a year.  The first are in the autumn and the second in the spring.

How do I contact the Headteacher?   You can do one of a number of things. 1) Call in to the school office and make an appointment.  2) Email school on:  or 3) Write a letter.  Our Headteacher is always happy to meet with you.

When can my child learn a musical instrument?  We have a number of opportunities for children to receive musical instrument tuition during the school week.  Please speak to Mrs Blake for more information.

Do the children have swimming lessons?  Swimming is part of the Key Stage 2 PE curriculum and all children in Owls Class have swimming lessons during Term 1, 2 and 3.. Sessions are held at the pool at the Langton School for Boys in Canterbury. 

When do my children sit their SATS?  SATS are taken towards the end of Year 2 (the times are variable, during April and May) and at the end of Year 6 (a specific SATs week is set nationally every year, usually the second or third week of May).

Is PE kit compulsory?  Yes. This is for health and safety reasons. Our PE kit consists of a T-shirt in your child's house colour, blue or black shorts or track-suit bottoms and black gym-shoes.  Sweat shirts can be worn for outdoor PE.

Is jewellery allowed to be worn? No jewellery, other than stud earrings, can be worn in school.  Children with ear piercings must either remove these or cover them with medical tape during PE activities.

Where is the lost property kept?   Lost property can be found in the Owls' cloakroom near Woodpecker Class. This lost property is also displayed in the  playground at the end of each term where parents are encouraged to check through for missing items.  All lost property is taken to a charity shop at the end of the school year. Please sew name labels or clearly write your child's name in their clothing.

Am I allowed to take my child out of school for a holiday or day off? What happens if I do?  Regular attendance at school is essential. Only exceptional circumstances will be authorised.  Holidays in term time are no longer able to be authorised.  Please make an appointment with the Headteacher or FLO to discuss this. 

Any other questions?  Please feel free to contact the office.